14 June 2012

Humongous Pot Roast

So, yesterday I got the wonderful idea to make a really good pot roast. Unfortunately, this light bulb went off after dinner and I was without the necessary ingredients so I decided to wait until today.

I woke up and went to the grocery store to get all kinds of groceries. I am going to be on a pretty serious cooking kick here soon because I have found out that I gained back all but 10 lbs that I lost while on Weight Watchers... which I completely just stopped doing for no apparent reason. So, I'm giving MyFitnessPal a try and am looking forward to seeing how it goes. I feel I am going to be successful. If you are on there, please feel free to add me. The username is rabidtriangle. I am horrendously predictable, aren't I?

Anyway, I ended up getting probably the hugest pot roast I have ever seen in my life. 4.8 lbs before cooking. There was this little part of my brain thinking that that was probably too much, but the other part was saying something about having a large family, so I bought it. It pretty much filled up half of my Dutch oven!

Behold! My gloriously large meat!

So... yep. The meat is actually very lean and I am not too worried about the fat content at all. I also tried my very, very best to fill it up with as much vegetable matter as possible before pouring in a bit of salt free beef broth and seasonings. Sadly, I didn't get as much on the veggie front as I usually manage but it ended up being okay. No one felt it necessary to go into a rage because they were mushroom deprived. I also overcooked it somewhat, too, because I turned up the heat a bit about halfway through. Shouldn't have. I was just worried because it's more to have to cook through. Ah, well. At least I know for next time.

 
I think it turned out very well. I don't know if anyone else does this, but we tend to eat all beef pot roast with a slice of pumpernickel rye bread and a bit of butter. The taste just goes perfectly. As you can see, I shamelessly nommed a bit of the bread before it even made it to the bowl. Sorry, wasn't thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment