11 April 2012

Various Things

Well, I've had a few interesting things going on the past few days.

Adventures in Knitting Land

First and foremost was our very first knitting meetup at Panera in Huebner Oaks. I think it went very well and am looking forward to making this into a regular event for the San Antonio Fiber Junkies. At this event, the wonderful lady who introduced me to the sock yarn blanket gave me some yarn for said blanket. I have not yet worked all of it in, but I have knit squares from some of it. Please excuse the horrible quality of the photo and feel free to chastise me for my terrible laziness about weaving my ends in. I now have a system, I think. Every time I knit one square, work in those ends and the ends of another square. It's time consuming, but worth it because... ack! It's a huge mess with tangly yarn bits hanging out everywhere. Also, yes, that is a hallway and I do seem to have something attempting to escape from my linen closet. What's a girl to do when she's making a blanket large enough for a king sized bed with no bed to model it on? The hallway will just have to do for now, then I will start putting it in other hideously large floor spaces in my house... that do not currently exist. Expect rants about spontaneous furniture rearrangement in... a few years when I've knit enough squares to need to worry about it.


Anyway, at last count I had 61 squares. That is, of course, provided I actually counted correctly and do not stay up all night knitting. I'm kidding! (maybe not)

I have also been knitting those socks I started. Do not worry, I'm not cheating on them too hard with the blanket. They are looking great so far. I am not exactly sure on whether they will fit in the calf/ankle area. I can only feel confident in the fact that my gauge seems to be spot on and trust in the wisdom of the whiz who wrote the pattern. Anyway, here is a picture of the awesomeness. It's sort of amazing because the color of this yarn does not ever, ever come out correctly in pictures. It doesn't matter what color I have in the background. Anyway, I took this picture with my work resting on my knee while wearing the pink scrub pants of awesomeness (kidding, I really don't like pink!) . All in all, I think it's going well and am looking forward to getting further along and showing off.






Heathen Happenings

Anyway, I do have other things going on! For example, today I received my very first issue of Idunna. I joined The Troth at some point in the not-too-distant past. I'm not entirely sure which month it was since they all seem to have run together recently, but I was quite surprised to receive it today as I have been too busy to really think about it.

 
So, there it is nice and neat on my desk... with yarn in the background. :/ Anyway, I am looking forward to reading it and thinking about everything I'm reading. Probably after finals week, though. I have been so busy I haven't even had the opportunity to download the Odroerir journal, much less read it. I will definitely be reading that one as soon as the semester insanity has ended, as well. It would seem I am going to have quite a busy May.

Serious Things!

Work and school seem to be going in a great way. I am very happy with the new client I have at work and am really getting a lot of points on Nexercise from cleaning around her place. There is good in that, right? I am also happy to be getting paid because I spent some time with absolutely nothing from work and was miserable with lack of income and things to do. So, now that those things have been fixed I am feeling a lot better about life in general.

School is going... all right. I have to admit that I have been very unmotivated for the past few weeks. I am not sure why, but I feel that it is passing and I will be doing better for the rest of the semester. I am really quite terrified of tomorrow because we are having our post test... meaning a 1.5 mile run/walk. I am confident in my ability to do better than I did last time, but honestly I am pretty discouraged about the information I got from doing my measurements. It's sort of strange because nothing really changed... except my legs. I will have you know that my thunder thigh situation has gotten better by a few inches, mmkay?

Anyway, I have a lot to do tomorrow with all of that and a few things I need to take care of for my chemistry lab so I'm not going to be blathering on about it all night. All I have to say is that I am going to forgive myself for the horrible behavior that caused this semester to have disastrous parts to it and do better. There are only a few more class periods in the semester and I will shine for them, dammit. Next semester will be better.

A Heartfelt Note...

On a more serious note, I would like to share something with you all, my rather amorphous and invisible blog readers who may or may not actually exist. Last year, after my car accident, I received four blood transfusions. I had some serious damage to my lungs and lost a lot of blood with all of the fractures I sustained. If it was not for someone donating blood, I would not be here today to ramble on about knitting and all of the things I guess I'll have to read later. So, if you are eligible, I am going to go ahead and encourage you to donate blood. I'm feeling rather inspired  because I am officially now able to donate as of the first of this month and we are having a blood drive on campus next week. I will be there. If you are in the San Antonio area, there are a lot of different resources available, the most prevalent of which would be the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center. So, without further adieu, I say get thee to a certified vampire for the good of mankind!


No comments:

Post a Comment